Recently my son was diagnosed with malabsorption. It has been many years and mulitple doctors to finally get a diagnosis, but I am grateful to now receive some closure to so many issues and complications we were experiencing with his health. His classification as of right now is food allergies. I actually now carry around a card that lists all the foods he cannot have, which will trigger reactions. We are blessed his reactions do not cause him to experience anaphylaxis, but his allergies were actually causing his bowels to inflame so much that he wasn’t absorbing hardly any nutrients, therefore he was experiencing a parents worse nightmare called failure to thrive. He had stopped really growing and putting on weight for months at a time. He actually fell off the growth chart going into the negatives, that was pretty devastating for us to watch, along with a host of other issues that we never realized could be related.
Even in the midst of all this, God is good! We now have an answer to all our questions, and can move forward in faith claiming the promises of healing while helping to heal his gut by avoiding his trigger foods. Due to my sons allergies and needs I have adapted this recipe from my original one, fortunately for us these patties still came out very tasty.
Pecan Patties (vegan, gluten-free, soy-free)
- 1 cup Gluten-Free Quick Oats
- 1 cup Grounded Pecans, grounded as fine as possible
- ¼ cup Sunflower Seeds
- ½ tablespoon Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Bakon Hickory Seasoning Hickory Smoke Style
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ cup minced onion, or 2 T dried/dehydrated onion
- ½ – 1 cup Hot Water, for binding
- 1 tablespoon oil
*optional additions: ½ cup vegetables (either kale, spinach, corn, peppers, celery, etc.)
- In a saucepan: Saute onions in the oil (or substitute water) for about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl: Mix the gluten-free oats, grounded pecans, sunflower seeds and seasonings
- Next add the sauteed onions to the large bowl with the dry ingredients
- Then add the hot water and stir real well until combined.
- Let mix rest for 5 minutes.
- Break apart into 6 equal pieces, roll into balls, flatten, fry and enjoy!!
Delicious topped with a sauce along with a side of rice and vegetables or on burger buns, homemade bread or rolls of your choice, add any toppings and condiments you desire and devour!
These also freeze really well for later